Here at Experteeth Dental, we only use reputable companies for implant components and parts. We only use designs that have a long-term track record of success in clinical literature. Because Implants become part of you, and we think you only deserve the best. We provide a 5 year warranty for all fixtures and fittings, provided you come back regularly for maintenance.
Dental Implant Solutions
Missing teeth can result in altered chewing ability and also affect your confidence when you smile. When missing teeth are left for many years, this can also place additional strain on other teeth resulting in unbalanced forces which can cause teeth to chip or fracture.
The technology of dental implants is continually evolving. They are considered the standard of care for the replacement of missing teeth in many situations. At Putney Dental Care, we offer dental implant solutions at a specialist level to ensure that you receive quality care with confidence.
Dental implants have been developed since the late 1960’s and have been used extensively for the replacement of missing teeth.
Dental Implants are artificial tooth roots that are fused into the jawbone to replace natural teeth that are missing. Implants and their crowns are designed to mimic the look and function of natural teeth.
A completed dental implant has three main components:
- A titanium implant: a metal root
- An abutment: a post
- A Crown
Advantages of dental implants include:
- Helps to withstand greater biting forces than dentures
- The option that feels and looks most natural
- Can improve the appearance of ‘hollowed’ cheeks that can occur after a tooth is extracted
- Are firmly secured into the jaw
- Do not require support from adjacent teeth
- Can be cleaned with normal cleaning routine at home, unlike dentures which require removal at night
Planning for Dental Implants
- The planning process begins with diagnostic tests to confirm that you are a suitable candidate for the procedure and to help plan the best treatment for you. These includes a dental examination, photographs, dental casts of your teeth, and 3-D scans of your jaws.
- Discussion of your full medical history to ensure that you will be safe throughout the whole process.
- Local anaesthetic: at Putney Dental Care, dental implant surgeries are routinely done without the need to go to hospital or to have general anaesthesia. Patients will be able to drive home after and many patients resume work the next day.
- Dental implant procedure: this involves 3 main stages:
I. Insertion of the implant
The dentist will prepare a site in the gum and bone and a cylindrical shaped implant is installed into the bone. Stitches are removed after 2 weeks.
II. Insertion of the Abutment, and Impression TakingAn abutment is fitted after the bone has healed around the implant. The abutment acts as the support post and connector between the implant and the artificial tooth (crown).
III. Insertion of the Crown (Tooth)Your dentist will check that the implant has integrated and is strong enough to support chewing forces. The crown is then attached on top of the abutment. Most of the time the Crown and the Abutment are attached to the Implant Fixture using a screw, this allow easy retrieval of the suprastructure for maintenance in the future.
Disclaimer: Information on this page is adapted from the Australian Dental Association Inc.
Medical and Detnal conditions are complex, you should not rely on information provided here for self-diagnosis and treatment/prescription